With every purchase of a KOR One, you help protect and restore our valuable wetlands. KOR has forged a partnership with The Wetlands Initiative, a non-profit working to sustainably restore wetlands on a large-scale in order to improve water quality, increase wildlife habitat and biodiversity, reduce flood damages, and minimize the impact of climate change.
"Our nation faces enormous water resource problems - too much sediment and nutrient pollution in our rivers and streams, lost habitat for our wildlife, and expensive and destructive flooding. More wetlands could address all these problems and more. The Wetlands Initiative is excited to partner with KOR Water as we work together to restore wetlands and find new strategies to fund restoration."
-Donald Hey, President, The Wetlands Initiative
Wetland protection is critical:
- Wetlands are "biological supersystems," supporting a remarkable level of plant and animal biodiversity, including many threatened and endangered species
- Wetlands naturally soak up and store floodwaters, reducing destructive flood damages
- Wetlands slow sedimentation from tributaries and rivers, preventing sediment from choking our waterways and backwater lakes and destroying native habitat
- Wetlands improve water quality by removing and sequestering excess nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorus. Unprecedented amounts of these nutrients flow into our oceans from agricultural and urban runoff and fuel low-oxygen "dead zones" that are uninhabitable to marine life
- Wetlands provide valuable open space and wonderful recreational opportunities, including hiking, fishing, boating and bird watching that are a key part of our cultural heritage and well-being